“Filled with the Holy Spirit, Jesus returned from the Jordan and was led by the Spirit into the desert for forty days, to be tempted by the devil. LK 4:1
- “command this stone to become bread”….use your power 2satisfy yourself.
- “all this will be yours if you worship me.” …accept the power of the evil one and I’ll give you ‘the world! All this!’ …bow to other gods.
- “throw yourself down from here.” …test God, his power and protection (as we all do at various times when we don’t trust God)
- Jesus doesn’t take for himself but GIVES his very self…. body and blood to/for us in the Eucharist/on the cross.
- Jesus doesn’t go after the bright, shiny object/offering, all the glittering fantastic things in this world (…”what good is it to gain the whole world but lose your soul?”). He doesn’t abandon God but remains single hearted in faith.
- Jesus doesn’t tempt God but trusts ABSOLUTELY in God’s saving and abiding presence (no matter what is happening in his life).
AS WE BEGIN THE LENTEN JOURNEY, A COUPLE Q’S:
- Do you/I talk with/commune with the Holy Spirit who fills us and leads us and helps us to deal with our temptations?
- Where do we use our power primarily to satisfy ourselves? Where are we overly ambitious (in an unhealthy way) to get ahead at the expense of others?
- What “gods” do you/I “bow down” to in life? …the god of fear, anxiety, pride, $$$, status, looks, even health?) Do we trust in God’s abiding/saving presence?
- Where do you/I need to TRUST more? Where are we lacking in trust that God will protect, guard and save us as we go through the scariest and most unexpected things in life?